The Company is committed to ensuring that the needs of customers and employees are met in an environmentally responsible manner. The Company recognises that its day to day activities will inevitably have an impact on the environment and society and we will do what we can within practicable limits to minimise any harmful effects.
To be achieved through:
- raising the awareness and understanding of all employees about our environmental policy, and maintain and promote awareness of environmental issues and related matters through our health safety and environmental committee
- minimising disturbance to the local and global economy, local communities, society, and wildlife through thoughtful business management standards and arrangements, including environmental impact and improvement, when considering contracts requested by the Company for building or refurbishment works. This will be enabled by the CDM Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 at design and implementation stages
- meeting, or where practical, exceeding all legislative, regulatory and other requirements appropriate to our business
- promoting optimum and efficient use of resources and energy through employee awareness and appropriate facilities management arrangements
- maximising the use of information technology and public transport to reduce carbon emissions from unnecessary travelling, such as making use of video conferencing and telephone conferencing facilities
- reducing, reusing, and recycling waste that the Company produces where practical
- liaising with our suppliers, sub-contractors, and customers to promote best possible environmental practice for the operation of our business
- consulting our client groups through forums and feedback processes to take account of their views on the environmental stance of the Company, and share their ideas
- aiming to continually improve our environmental performance by setting environmental objectives, targeting and supporting programmes, and reporting on these through the annual report.
- Publish our environmental policy on the Company intranet to promote it to employees, and the public interface websites to inform our stakeholders and customers of the standards we aim to achieve.
- Produce and monitor effective company procedures for environmental management and waste management, ensuring legislative standards and updates are implemented within a suitable timescale.
- Encourage employees to recycle, with facilities in all of our premises.
- Take advice from relevant bodies, organisations, and quality standards on how to improve our environmental standards and then implement any recommendations, such as the Carbon Trusts Societal Impact report, and recommendations from the EFQM process.
- Encourage employees to use the environmental guidance on the intranet and the employee suggestion scheme to make other recommendations for change.
- Provide a forum through the Health, Safety and Environmental Committee for all employees to become involved in environmental issues.
- Set targets to reduce overall company mileage, by encouraging employees to share transport, or consider alternatives to using their cars.
- Consider choices when selecting company vehicles to ensure low carbon emission models are selected.
- Purchase supplies which are evidenced as having an environmentally superior standard, such as recycled paper content.
- Encourage our suppliers to seek greener products for us to buy.
- Encourage our suppliers to, or select our suppliers because, they use environmentally considerate business practices, such as packaging, transport, and marketing processes.
- Through procurement procedures select locally based services to assist us, such as maintenance companies, suppliers of office equipment, hospitality, hygiene services etc.
- Provide proactive asset management to ensure surplus equipment is re-used wherever possible and supporting appropriate organisations by donating unwanted company surplus.
- Ensure the Health, Safety and Environmental Committee consider, consult and implement environmental recommendations.